Today we looked at the Editing that is put into the post production of TV Dramas and films and looked at the different types of Editing, learning key terminology as we went along.
Narrative Editing (Create a Narrative)
Contiguity (Multiple things happening at the same time)
- Cross cut/ Intercut/ Parallel Editing- Things happening in a parallel order
- Action Match- Movement in one scene matches movement in another
- Graphic Match- Shape of something matching a similar shape in another scene
Continuity (Showing a sequence of events)
- Establishing shot- Allows audience to see geography of the room
- Cutaway- Show something else in the vicinity (adds context)
- Glance Object- Shows object glanced at
- Match on action
- Reach Shot- Shows reaction
- Shot reverse shot
- Master shot- Close up establishing shot
Temperal Structure (Showing time passing)
- Fast Forward- More than 1 second of film shown in 1 second
- Frame skip- Miss Frame
- Freeze frame: freezing the scene/frame.
- Slow motion
- Time compression: making the duration of film shorter than real-time.
- Juxtaposition: two contrasting shots
- Montage: collection of videos in a sequence.
Post production effects
- Colour correction
- Visual effects